Thursday, July 3, 2008

Some of the best pics are Pixar

Pixar's philosophy is "story first". Create the story then build the technology to tell it. It's a simple philosophy, but it's one that elevates Pixar to a level of greatness. People wonder why every single movie they make is such a huge hit. Well, that’s the simple reason. They aren’t about anything else but telling the story. I think this is at the heart of why I and so many others love Pixar.

Okay, enough with the love, let's get on to the gushing. Here’s how I rank the Pixar movies.

9. A Bug's Life
This is my least favorite Pixar movie, which is like saying the grilled chicken sandwich this is my least favorite item on the Chik-Fil-A menu (it’s all so salty and good). I think it has the weakest and probably most clichéd story of all the Pixar's (the outcast who gets outcasted only to find other outcasts, then is no longer an outcast when he saves the outcasters), but it's still fun to watch and it helped Pixar push the technology envelope further.

8. Monsters INC
Great cast, great ideas, unique story - after this one was released there was no looking back for Pixar. They had perfected their art, but they weren’t done honing it.

7. Toy Story
This was the world's first computer animated feature length movie and it was awesome. It was the perfect medium to tell this story. I had always been big into computer animated stuff and I remember anticipating the crap out of this and when it finally arrived it delivered.

6. Cars
This is probably Pixar's lightest story but it’s still a fun movie with a good message.

--From here on down are the cream of the crop - masterpieces.

5. Finding Nemo
Such a rich story - such great characters - so much color and life.

4. Ratatouille
Arguably the most adult of all the Pixar movies, this movie deals with some very grown up themes but it's still fun and exciting and you can almost smell the food being cooked when you watch it. And the scene where the critic tastes the Ratatouille and what happens afterwards is an example of pure, honest, beautiful, filmmaking

3. Wall-e
Only Pixar could succeed in making you care about a rusty trash compactor.

2. Toy Story 2
This movie is a joy to watch. I love every frame of it.

1. The Incredibles
Great message about family and teamwork and sharing your talents. Lovable characters. Beautiful art design and music. Funny and fun. It gets no better than this.


Bonus: My favorite short played before any Pixar feature is ‘Boundin’” shown before Incredibles.



Now it’s time for you little Care Bears to share – post your Pixar list below!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting... I've had a hard time coming up with a definitive, ordered list. As it turns out, when I consider different aspects of the films, the order changes drastically. For example, when considering the beauty of the CGI and animation, Wall-e takes the #1 spot. But when I think of my favorite stories, it would fall in the bottom half. Averaging everything out, I think my list would be like this:

9. Cars
8. A Bug's Life
7. Finding Nemo
6. Wall-e
5. Toy Story
4. The Incredibles
3. Ratatouille
2. Toy Story 2
1. Monsters Inc.

This is only a qualitative list, however, based solely on remembering how much I enjoyed watching each film. That's why I needed a pro to give me a little more thought out list. Thanks Jason!

Jason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason said...

Great list - do you know what your favorite short is?

Unknown said...

I really liked the one from Wall-e. It was cute and fun and somehow had a little bit of character development. But there is still a special place in my heart for the chess game. It was original and sweet with a slightly funny twinge. I think one of those two would take my top spot.